Guided by the GLRI Action Plan, the Federal agencies of the GLRI’s Regional Working Group coordinate to select the best combination of programs, projects, and activities to achieve GLRI goals. GLRI funding accelerates environmental progress in the Great Lakes by supplementing their existing funds. Toward that end, the agencies use a variety of tools including:
- interagency agreements
- project agreements
- negotiated grants and contracts
- competitive awards
- competitive grant solicitations are announced through grants.gov.
Twice a year the RWG agencies identify the projects that they have funded under GLRI. Jump to table of all projects.
Summary information about GLRI projects in this table is based on the information available as of April 2018.
|Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry||11||$13,813,000|
|Bureau of Indian Affairs||320||$40,408,250|
|Centers for Disease Control and Prevention||5||$3,455,662|
|DOT Federal Highway Administration||12||$6,705,858|
|DOT Maritime Administration||9||$17,439,781|
|Environmental Protection Agency*||1077||$877,303,737*|
|National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration||280||$195,036,680|
|National Park Service||101||$36,364,814|
|U.S. Army Corps of Engineers||670||$279,170,769|
|U.S. Coast Guard||54||$15,853,175|
|U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service||1011||$308,394,689|
|U.S. Geological Survey||217||$147,659,613|
|USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service||50||$10,577,594|
|USDA Forest Service||114||$71,397,860|
|USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service||272||$152,860,313|
*This amount includes funding provided to states, tribes and other governmental entities, as well as funding for Great Lakes Legacy Act work.
Explore the GLRI Project Map (opens in new window)
Summary information about that funding, based on information available through April 2018, is included in the spreadsheet and in the summary table.
Spreadsheet of all GLRI projects (XLSX) through FY18 2nd quarter - posted Oct. 4, 2018
- Funder: the Federal agency managing the project.
- Year: the fiscal year in which the project funding was appropriated.
- GLRI Amount: the dollar amount of the GLRI funding the project received for the given fiscal year.
- Project Type: project funding or scope types: new, continuation, etc. "Continuation" means incremental funding of an on-going project. "Increase" means an increase in funding. “Revision” means a change in the scope and/or a decrease in the funding.
- Project Title: the official title of the project.
- Recipient Name: the organization actually doing the work for the identified project.
- Project Description: a short description of the project, such as who is going to do what and where.
- Focus Area: the Action Plan focus area under which the project line is funded.
- Project Start Date: the date that the project began or is planned to begin.
- Project End Date: the date that the project work ended or is planned to end.
- Affected States: the state(s) in which the project takes place.
- Latitude and Longitude columns: location of the “project location”. The purpose is to provide a single symbolic location for the project.